Garmin Fenix 5 Plus Australia Date Pricing Features
The long-awaited Fenix 5 Plus (Fenix 5+) was announced by Garmin today! As the name suggests, this is an update or upgrade across all models of the Garmin Fenix 5 – the Fenix 5S, Fenix 5 and Fenix 5X. The Fenix 5 Plus release date in Australia is 18 June 2018.
A detailed Garmin Fenix 5 Plus review, covering the Fenix 5S Plus, Fenix 5 Plus and Fenix 5X Plus will be posted as soon as we get our hands on all of the models. Until then, we wanted to give you a quick run-down on the major upgrades Garmin made from the Fenix 5 watches to the Fenix 5 Plus watches.
Fenix 5 Plus Buy Online
The Garmin Fenix 5 Plus range is now available to shop online in Australia, including the following models:
Enjoy FREE shipping on all Fenix 5 Plus orders shipped to an Australian delivery address + EARN Velocity Frequent Flyer Points or CommBank Awards points on your purchase!
Garmin Fenix 5 Plus Overview
The Garmin Fenix 5 Plus is a full feature, multi-sport GPS watch that is targeted predominantly at outdoor enthusiasts, triathletes and runners. The Garmin Fenix 5 Plus includes all of the core features and functionality of the Fenix 5, most notably:
- Elevate wrist-based heart rate sensor, for 24/7, one second sampling, heart rate monitoring
- GPS + GLONASS geographic location tracking (now with the addition of Galileo!)
- Training statistics allowing you to track your training status and load
- Multiple sport and activity profiles allowing you to record and analyse a range of activities
- 3-axis compass with gyroscope and barometric altimeter
- Long battery life - up to 2 weeks in smartwatch mode, up to 24 hours in GPS mode
- Water rated to 10ATM/100m
- WiFi, Bluetooth and ANT+ connections
Fenix 5 to Fenix 5 Plus Updates
The following features headline a suite of additional features and functionality that have been added to the Fenix 5 models in the Fenix 5 Plus upgrade:
- Fenix 5 Plus Mapping – in the Fenix 5 mapping was only available on the Fenix 5X, mapping on the Fenix 5 Plus has been added to ALL Fenix 5 Plus models, now includes turn pop up alerts, points of interest and more;
- Fenix 5 Plus Garmin Pay – contactless payment was first available in the Garmin range on the Garmin Vivosmart 3, then on the Garmin Forerunner 645 Music and now all models of Fenix 5+ have Garmin Pay (NFC payments) available (for supporting issuing banks - at the time of writing participating banks include: ANZ: Visa, Bendigo Bank: Mastercard, Commonwealth Bank of Australia: Mastercard, Latitude Financial Services: Mastercard, NAB: Visa - visit Garmin Pay Participating Banks for details.
- Fenix 5 Plus Music Storage – with on board music (music storage) being made available first in the Forerunner 645 Music and since in other Garmin watches, it was almost inevitable that the next version of the Garmin Fenix, being their top of the line multi-sport watch, would feature music storage. Now you can load up your Fenix 5 Plus with up to 500 songs and head out for a run with Bluetooth headphones and listen to your tunes on your run or walk without the need to take your phone with you. The Fenix 5 Plus includes 16GB of internal storage for music.
- Fenix 5 Plus Galileo Satellite - additional satellite network capability to track your course more accurately in more challenging environments than with GPS alone.
Fenix 5X Plus Specific Updates
The top end of the Fenix 5 range, the Garmin Fenix 5X Plus, includes one significant additional feature specific only to the Fenix 5X Plus – Garmin’s first wrist-based Pulse Oximeter sensor which is useful to measure the blood oxygenation level for higher altitude activities.
Additional Fenix 5 Plus Updates (All Models)
- Trendline Popularity Routing - run Garmin users' most popular trails and routes
- Garmin Explore - connect offline for the best in outdoor navigation, trip planning, mapping and data sharing to your smartphone or tablet
- Round Trip Run and Round Trip Ride - your Fenix 5 Plus will suggest routes based on an activity distance that you input
- At-a-Glance Guidance - Easy to read guidance cues provide banner notifications on the Fenix 5 Plus watch as you approach a turn
- Around Me - Points of Interest around you (such as petrol stations, cafes, shops etc), waypoints and other map objects within your location
- Data Overlays - overlays on the map highlight key info, eliminating the need to switch screens whilst in activity
- GroupTrack and LiveTrack - GroupTrack allows you to keep track of your Garmin friends and LiveTrack allows your friends to follow your runs or outdoor adventures live
Fenix 5 Plus Pricing Australia
The Fenix 5 Plus series watches will have the following suggested Australian prices (RRP's):
- Fenix 5S Plus: Starting from A$999 (Glass); A$1,149 (Sapphire)
- Fenix 5 Plus: Starting from A$999 (Glass); A$1,149 (Sapphire)
- Fenix 5X Plus: Starting from A$1,249 (Sapphire only)
Detailed Fenix 5 Plus Model Features Compared
Fenix 5 Plus Battery Life
- Fenix 5S Plus: Smartwatch: Up to 7 days | GPS: Up to 11 hours | GPS + Music: Up to 4.5 hours | UltraTrac: Up to 25 hours
- Fenix 5 Plus: Smartwatch: Up to 12 days | GPS: Up to 18 hours | GPS + Music: Up to 8 hours | UltraTrac: Up to 42 hours
- Fenix 5X Plus: Smartwatch: Up to 20 days | GPS: Up to 32 hours | GPS + Music: Up to 13 hours | UltraTrac: Up to 70 hours
* 1/8/2018 - updated battery life information (updated from information provided pre-launch to information online at Garmin.com).
Fenix 5 Plus Display
- All models of the Fenix 5 Plus have a display size of 30.4mm in diameter.
- The Fenix 5 Plus has a 240x240 sunlight-visible, transflective memory-in-pixel display that is as easy to read in bright sunlight as it is to read at night when pressing the light button.
Watch our YouTube overview clip
The Fenix 5 Plus (5+) watch range update moves the features of the Fenix 5 from behind the Forerunner 645 Music and Vivosmart 3 to the premium, full-feature top end. The addition of Garmin Pay and Music to Garmin’s flagship Fenix model is an update that was broadly expected by the market, maybe for some in the Fenix 6 rather than the Fenix 5 Plus update. The great news is the Fenix 5 Plus retains the rugged, fashionable look of the Fenix 5 with the stainless steel bezel. We think you're going to love it! Stay tuned for a full review of the Fenix 5 Plus very soon!